Friday, May 15, 2009

FOLLOWING DREAMS WITH ARTHRITIS


Good Morning All!
Today I would like to talk about following your dreams with arthritis. When I first got sick 26 years ago I thought any hope of living a normal life was gone , much less pursuing my dreams. I must admit I did allow my disease to define who I was for many years. I had more pity parties than I care to admit. I gained over 100 pounds. My life was spiraling out of control. One morning I looked into the mirror and had no idea who was looking back at me. I was sickened! A very wise friend said to me it you do not get up and move you are going to die. As I returned to my favorite spot ion the couch with yet another enormous spoon of peanut butter I began to think about those words. I watched my son playing on the floor knowing I could not get on the floor with him, Hell I never could have gotten up. That was my light bulb moment. My life was passing me by.
I gathered up my 3 year old and went outside to take a walk. I could not walk far I was in so much pain and so very out of shape!. I remember making it about 1/4 of a block, before I thought I was just going to die. The next day came and I walked again. I did not eat my daily dose of peanut butter about 1/2 cup on this day. Over the next month I continued to walk everyday adding a few feet. I also cut out a different fatty food. At the end of the month I had lost nearly 10 pounds. I than replace my breakfast and dinner with a fresh fruit smoothie. I still enjoyed a nice lunch. I was now walking over a mile. At the end of two months I had lost over 30 pounds. The more weight I lost the better I felt. I joined a support group for arthritis. The weight continued to melt away as the months went by. I began to have dreams and feelings of happiness that were gone for so long. By the time a year passed I was 5'9" tall and 128 pounds of happiness, a whopping 100 pounds was gone. I lost entire another person! That was almost 14 years ago and I am still at 128 - 130. I now have dreams that I pursued and achieved. I have written two books, won over 50 national recipe contests, cooked off on the food network, worked as an art director in the motion picture industry and was a celebrity interviewer . I have a wonderful life! I do any and everything I desire. I tell myself on a daily basis, pain and sickness can no longer control me I control it. I am not saying life is a breeze its not for any of else. I am simply saying find your dreams and never lose sight of them, any thing is possible when you believe! The following is a healthy recipe I am sure you will enjoy.
Baba Ghanoush with Garlic Pita Points
Yields 4 servings

1 large eggplant, baked and peeled
1 medium red onion, rough chopped
1 small red bell pepper, rough chopped
3 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 T. freshly-squeezed lemon juice, can be substituted for bottled lemon juice [Can they use lemon juice from a bottle?]
1 T. lemon zest
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped plus sprigs for garnish
Fill the bottom of a steam basket pot with water, place over high heat, peel, and cube eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Place eggplant in the basket and steam until tender. Remove eggplant and place in the food processor. Add onion, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, salt, and pepper purée to the eggplant until smooth. Drain any excess liquid and spoon mixture into a serving bowl. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve with pita points.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It is amazing how much diet can effect your rheumatoid arthritis. Your story was really inspiring me and has helped me to realize that to stay healthy and feeling good I need to focus on a healthy diet. Thanks for sharing!